Monday, 14 September 2015

Lejogle - Day 10

As today was my turn around day, I had planned it as a shorter ride to give me time at John O'Groats and to sort anything for the return. I had even thought of doing a slightly different route up there, taking on Dunnet Head Point (the most northerly point, John O'Groats is the most north westerly point and a lot m more famous), which would have added a few more miles. As the forecast was for rain from around 14:00, I decided it was best to take the shorter route.

We set off at about 9:15, having filled my water bottles from the backup water. My dad did have a shower this morning, he said that the water came out slightly brown. I decided that I didn’t like the idea of putting my contact lens in with a finger that had been washed using water that may have “bacterial contamination” and, as rain was due, I didn’t think wearing glasses would be a good idea, so I had a slightly blurry view today.

It was bright and sunny for the first couple of hours but I was hit by hills and headwinds. Yesterday was my fastest average speed but the ride to John O'Groats was my slowest, which I hadn’t expected.

It stayed dry until we passed through Wick but the ride from Wick to John O'Groats wasn’t nice, with a constant headwind and rain (luckily not heavy rain).

I arrived at John O'Groats at about 14:10 (it was wet and windy) and went to the signpost.

Up until a year or two ago the signpost at John O'Groats was like the one at Land’s End and you could only use it if you paid the photographer. This meant that if you arrived when the photographer wasn’t there, all you got was a signless post. After the photographer retired there was no one to take over and now there is a permanent sign that anyone can use.

We took a couple of photos (it was so wet and windy that my dad didn’t take his helmet off), I sent a couple of messages, we had a conversation with someone who had finished his Lejog yesterday and that was John O'Groats.

The total distance from Land’s End to John O'Groats was 889.4 miles.

I had thought that we might stop for a bit but it was so miserable up there that neither of us wanted to stay too long. We set off again at about 14:25.

The trip back to Wick was a lot faster thanks to the tailwind, I think it was 16.8mph by the time I stopped at Tesco.

We arrived at the campsite at about 15:55. We’re staying at a campsite that I used in 2009 but this time I’ve been told that there is a foot path into the centre that is shorter than using the road.

I have a blow up pillow that I’ve been using but it has a leak somewhere and has to be blown up each time I wake during the night, so I thought that I’d pop into the Poundland that we passed on the way through Wick. I was confused that I couldn’t find the opening times on the internet but when I went there I found out why, it doesn’t open until Saturday. I did pop into Lidl and get some new cycling gloves though.

We’ve just been into the centre for dinner and I treated myself to a chocolate brownie sundae, I’m getting to the stage where I can eat at any time.

Tomorrow is back the way we came today and part of yesterday. I’ve looked at the weather forecast and it looks like I might have a headwind again, I’m hoping that it won’t be as bad as today.

Distance today - 76.5 miles
Distance from John O'Groats - 18.2 miles
Total Distance - 907.6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment